Can I take my car on my driving test in Cardiff?
Yes, you can take your own vehicle for the driving test. Some learner drivers choose to take the practical test in their own vehicle for many different reasons. If you are not aware of the rules for using your car, then there is a risk of losing the test fee. Make sure the vehicle you are using is road legal, taxed and insured, it is the responsibility of you, the driver. The examiners will do a walk-round check of the car you are using checking for any defects. If any defects are found the test will be cancelled. For example brake light bulb not working, a nail or a screw in your tyres. Can I take my car on my driving test in Cardiff the answer is yes!
Collingwood Insurance 373698 Ref Code:
This is what you will need to do before you take your car for the driving test
- be taxed and properly insured for you to use for a driving test (check with your insurance company)
- be roadworthy and have a current MOT if it needs one
- be checked and fixed if it has a known safety fault
- have a seatbelt for the examiner
- have an interior rear-view mirror for the examiner (these are available from most motor stores)
- have a proper passenger head restraint (not a slip-on type)
- be a smoke-free environment (you can’t smoke in the vehicle just before or during the test)
- have 4 wheels
- be able to reach at least 62mph
- have a speedometer measuring speed in mph
- have no warning lights showing – for example, the airbag warning light
- have L-plates (‘L’ or ‘D’ plates in Wales) on the front and rear
- have a maximum authorised mass (MAM) of no more than 3,500 kilograms
If you are using a hire car it must be fitted with dual controls. A car with a space-saver tyre will be rejected by the examiners all tyres must be the same dimensions. Convertible cars cannot be used for the driving test. Vehicles with electronic parking brakes and hill assist can be used for the test. The cars with known vehicle faults must have written proof they were fixed or they have been inspected by a garage.